PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Investigators recovered more than 50 shell casings at the scene of a shooting that injured nine people in Rhode Island’s capital, Providence Police Chief Col. Hugh T. Clements said Friday.
Of the people injured Thursday evening, eight were shot, and the ninth was by hurt by shards of glass, Clements told WPRO radio on Friday. Three were critical, authorities said.
There had been no arrests as of early Friday.
“The investigation is very fluid, very active, we have not charged anyone at this point,” he said.
Clements previously said the shooting began just before 7 p.m. Thursday with gunfire coming from a vehicle, targeting a home. A person or people inside the home then returned fire.
He said multiple guns were used and it involved an “ongoing feud” involving two groups known to authorities.
The victims are between the ages of 19 and 25, and most are young men. No names have been released.
The shooting took place in the southeastern neighborhood of Washington Park, which Clements described as a typically quiet neighborhood.
Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza said Thursday at the scene that the neighborhood is shaken.
“This has to stop,” Elorza said. “The young people involved, believing that the way to solve their disputes is with a handgun — I mean, that can’t be the way.”