Fire tore through Turner Street apartment building, displacing 18 tenants in Auburn


A fire tore through the apartment building at 248 Turner St. early Saturday morning in Auburn. Daryn Slover/Sun Journal Buy this Photo

AUBURN — An early morning structure fire at 248 Turner St. displaced 10 children and eight adults on Saturday, according to Auburn Batallion Chief Dean Milligan.

Milligan said that around 12:50 a.m., several people called and reported that the four-unit Turner Street apartment building was engulfed in flames.

By the time firefighters arrived, Milligan said that the fire “had a good opportunity to get going.”

Auburn firefighters were assisted by the Lewiston Fire Department and several area fire departments in knocking down the fire before it could spread to adjacent buildings.

Milligan said that it took several hours to get the fire knocked down, with the last firetrucks clearing the scene “around 7 a.m.”

“It was under control well before that, but it took a while to knock down hot spots and do overhaul,” Milligan said.

All of the tenants safely evacuated the building, according to Milligan, and one firefighter was taken to Central Maine Medical Center for observation after working to knock down the fire.

The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office was continuing to investigate the fire as of Saturday afternoon, according to Milligan, and has yet to release the cause or origin of the blaze.

“It’s not official, but it appears the fire may have started on the exterior of the building, which means it had been going for a bit before anyone got there,” Milligan said.

The Red Cross is assisting the tenants displaced by the fire.

A man puts boards over the windows Saturday to restrict access to the apartment building on Turner Street in Auburn that burned early Saturday morning. Daryn Slover/Sun Journal Buy this Photo

Andrea Moyers sits outside her home Saturday morning after a fire gutted her second story apartment. Moyers, her fiancé, three children and four cats escaped the fire safely. “As soon as I yelled fire, they knew what to do,” Moyers said about how her children got out of the house quickly. “The fire drills that they practice at school are a lifesaver,” she said. “I’m incredibly proud of them because on a normal day, they don’t always listen so well.” Moyer said her three children were at their father’s house getting some rest. “Crazy night,” said Moyers. Daryn Slover/Sun Journal Buy this Photo

Jason Redmon cleans up debris Saturday in the parking area between the apartment building he lives in (not pictured) and the one that caught on fire on Turner Street in Auburn. Daryn Slover/Sun Journal Buy this Photo

« Previous

Next »

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*