100 Years Ago: 1921
The meeting of the Doughnut Club which was to have been held at the home of Mrs. Frank S. Hoy, 539 Sabattus street, last evening, has been postponed for one week.
50 Years Ago: 1971
When St. Philip’s Parish was established in Auburn in 1968, the parish accepted the invitation of the Auburn United Methodist Church to share its facilities until the parish completed its new church. With St. Philip’s now ready to start use of its new church at East Auburn, the Methodist Church on Sunday night presented a substantial gift to be applied to the cost of the new St: Philip’s Church. Making the presentation were Lewis Littlefield, chairman of the board of trustees, and Clayton Manson, chairman of the board of trustees to Roland L, Marcotte, president of the St. Philip’s Parish Council, and the Rev. Edmund Hache, of St. Phillips. The use of the Methodist church facilities by the Catholic parishioners drew national attention and the gift by the host church was made —“in further recognition of the brotherhood of faiths.”
25 Years Ago: 1996
A Heritage Day celebration will be held throughout the day Sunday at the Leeds First Church of the Nazarene, which is noting 105 years of service. The celebration begins with a Sunday School service at 9:45 am., followed by worship service at 11. A luncheon will be held upstairs over the parsonage at noon. The heritage program begins at 3 p.m. The Rev. Clarence Hildreth, district superintendent of the Maine Nazarene District, will speak. Ryan Burnham has put together a video of Sunday school photos from 1900-1950. Nancy Babbitt will share a collection of history and memories given to her by long-time Leeds resident and church member, the late Erna Pease. Hymns written by the late William T. Pettengill, a minister and Leeds resident, will be sung. The community is invited.
The material used in Looking Back is produced exactly as it originally appeared although misspellings and errors may be corrected.